Now that we’ve reached September I think we’re all looking to get back into some good routines. Whether it’s school starting up or just going back to work after some much needed vacation, September is like a fresh start that enters our homes bringing with it crisp air, anticipation, and a newfound energy to take on new things. And I find this dinner is perfect for this time of year. It’s easy to prepare on a weeknight and it feels so wholesome and comforting.
Honestly, if I could only eat one meal for the rest of my life it would probably be this one . It’s a combination of some of my favorite foods, its quick to make and it’s both healthy and satisfying. It’s rich in autumn colors and packed with nutrients. I love the combination of the roasted sweet potatoes with the fresh kale. The crispy chickpeas add protein and also act like little croutons while the tahini sauce brings a creaminess and depth of flavor.
So step into your kitchen and make dinner with me!
- 2 sweet potatoes (depending on their size)
- 4-6 branches of kale
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas
- 2-3 tsp sunflower oil
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/3 tsp cumin
For the tahini sauce:
- 1 heaping tablespoon tahini
- 2-4 teaspoons water
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoons salt
For the sweet potatoes :
- Preheat the oven to 190C or 375F.
- Chop sweet potatoes in cubes about 1/2-1 inches in size.
- Place sweet potatoes on a sheet pan and sprinkle on the paprika, onion powder, sunflower oil and some salt.
- Mix the sweet potatoes so that they are all covered in the oil and spices and place in the oven for 25-30 minutes.
For the chickpeas :
- Drain and rinse the can of chickpeas and place them on a towel. Fold the towel over them and pay to dry. **This step is important! By drying your chickpeas you’re ensuring that they will turn out extra crispy!**
- Place the chickpeas on a baking sheet or glass baking pan.
- To your chickpeas, add 1 tsp of the olive oil as well as the garlic powder, cumin, and a sprinkle of salt. Stir until well coated.
- Place the chickpeas in the oven with your sweet potatoes and bake for about 25 minutes.
For the kale :
- Rinse the kale thoroughly and rip the leaves off of the tough stalks.
- Give the kale a rough chop so they will be easier to eat.
- Next, place your kale in a bowl and pour in 1 tsp of olive oil. Gently massage the oil into the kale and set it aside to rest.
For the tahini dressing :
- In a small bowl add the tahini, water, lemon juice, garlic powder, and salt.
- Mix the ingredients well with a fork until you have a creamy, homogenous consistency.
- Add more water as needed, depending on whether you want a more thick or runny sauce.
- Serve the kale and sweet potatoes in a bowl and spoon some crispy chickpeas on top. Drizzle some tahini sauce over it and enjoy!
- This makes two good portions. This meal would also make great leftovers.