December has come upon us so quickly, as it seems to every year. But we’ve managed to hang some lights, decorate the tree, and now it’s time to bake some Christmas cookies !
These cookies are similar to a classic snickerdoodle cookie, which is basically a cinnamon sugar cookie. But I’ve added some extra spices to give it more of a chai flavor, something I love this time of year. Bring these to a cookie swap with some friends or just enjoy with a nice cup of tea !
Let me know what you think of these cookies down in the comments, and have a wonderful holiday season !
(Makes about 36 cookies)
- 1 flax egg (1 tbs ground flax seed mixed with 3 tbs water)
- 1/2 cup (113g) vegan butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbs plant-based milk (I used cashew milk)
- 2.5 cups flour (I used T45, but I assume T55/all-purpose flour would be fine)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/8 tsp ground ginger
- Optional : extra sugar and cinnamon for coating the cookies (roughly 2 tbs sugar and 1/2 tsp cinnamon).
- For the flax egg, combine the ground flax seed and water in a small bowl, stir, and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Place the butter in a large bowl and beat with a hand mixer for about a minute (Can be done in a stand mixer if you have one).
- Add the sugar and beat for another minute until well combined.
- Add in the flax egg, vanilla extract, and plant milk and beat until combined.
- In a medium bowl, add the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, cardamom, and ginger and whisk until well combined.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the butter mixture and beat until thoroughly mixed.
- In a small bowl, stir together the sugar and cinnamon for coating the cookies.
- Using a spoon, scoop out about 1 tbs of the dough at a time and form into a ball. Roll the dough in the cinnamon sugar to coat the outside and set aside on a plate.
- Continue doing this with the rest of the dough and then set the plate of cookie dough balls in the fridge for about 30 minutes to chill.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C or 375°F. Once the cookies are chilled, place them on baking sheets spaced at least an inch apart (though they won’t spread out too much).
- Bake the cookies for about 12 minutes, or until lightly golden brown. Let the cookies cool for a few minutes before eating, and enjoy !