We are big fans of banana bread in this house. There are always frozen bananas in our freezer ready for baking at a moments notice. Sometimes I just get a craving, and banana bread is the only food that will satisfy. I’ve baked it so many times I hardly need a recipe for it anymore.
Maybe you’re asking why I’m talking about bananas when you thought this was gonna be about apples? Well that’s because I thought I would mix things up using seasonal fruit to make a similar dessert. This is inspired by banana bread in the sense that its loaded with fruit, made in a loaf pan, and is perfect for breakfast, snacking, or dessert. I always look forward to apple season so I’m excited to experiment with new ways to use them!
So go pick some apples and lets get baking! 🙂
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
- 3/4 cup applesauce
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup pure cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup all purpose flour (T55 in France)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1.5 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup oat milk (or other plant based milk)
- 1.5 cup oats
- 1/3 cup shredded coconut
- 3-4 apples (depending on size), peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 180°C or 375°F.
- Prepare your loaf pan by either greasing it or using parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together the ground flax seed with 3 tablespoons of water. Let sit for 5 minutes. (This is your flax egg.)
- Once the flax egg is ready, add the applesauce, almond butter, sugar, coconut oil, and vanilla extract and stir together with a rubber spatula.
- In a medium size bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and stir to combine.
- Then pour your oat milk into the mixture to combine.
- Next, add in your oats and shredded coconut and stir until evenly combined.
- Add about two thirds of your chopped apples to the batter and stir until distributed.
- Pour your batter into the loaf pan.
- Evenly place the remaining chopped apples on top , gently pressing them into the batter.
- Sprinkle on the sliced almonds, if choosing to add them.
- Place your apple loaf in the oven and bake for 55-60 minutes, until the edges are browned and a knife inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Let it cool at least 10 minutes before removing from the loaf pan. Best served warm with some vegan butter smeared on top or coconut yogurt dolloped on the side.
- Makes about 10 slices. Can be stored in an airtight container for a few days.