In France, a very common salad is called carottes râpées which is basically grated carrots with vinaigrette. It’s a fresh and simple classic, but I wanted to take it up a notch with this carrot salad recipe. This one is quite easy to prepare, but the carrot ribbons make it seem a bit more elevated than your everyday salad.
For some reason, carrots are a vegetable that I usually don’t enjoy raw on their own. I tried on many occasions to snack on them raw but I just prefer them roasted or at least mixed into something. But by peeling them into ribbons and adding a vinaigrette with a garlicky kick, carrots are much more palatable to me.
This simple salad is made by peeling a few carrots, tossing in some chopped hazelnuts for crunch, and mixing together a classic garlic-lemon-dijon vinaigrette. Freshly made dressing really makes a world of difference in flavor, plus this whole salad could come together in just 10 minutes!
If you throw together this salad, let me know how it goes down in the comments! Bon appétit!
As always, thanks for stopping by A Veganable Feast!
(Makes two salads as a starter/side)
- 4 medium carrots
- 2 tablespoons hazelnuts
- Parsley (optional, for garnish)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the vinaigrette :
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- To prepare the carrots, use a vegetable peeler to remove the peels, then slice off the ends and discard. Use the peeler to peel the carrots into ribbons, going around all the sides of the carrot until the core remains. Divide the carrot ribbons onto plates and set aside.
- Roughly chop the hazelnut and divide onto the carrots.
- For the vinaigrette, mince one clove of garlic and place in a small jar or bowl. Add the dijon and lemon and stir to combine. Pour in the olive oil and stir well with a fork until thoroughly combined. Alternatively if preparing the vinaigrette in a jar, place the lid on the jar and shake to combine well.
- To serve, add the dressing to the carrots and hazelnuts and top with salt, pepper, and parsley (optional). Enjoy!