This lemon cornmeal cake with blueberries is such a simple cake to mix up for a sweet treat. Filled with bright lemon zest and juicy blueberries, this cornmeal cake has a wonderful richness and texture to it.
First you combine the wet ingredients – some coconut oil, lemon zest and juice, sugar, and coconut yogurt. Then give a quick whisk to the dry ingredients – flour, cornmeal, salt, and baking powder. And finally, combine all the ingredients together to form a thick batter that is topped with blueberries and baked for half an hour.
I love that coconut yogurt adds wonderful moisture and richness to the cake which then contrasts with the textured crumb from the cornmeal. This cake is just sweet enough and full of plant-based, natural ingredients — so you’ll be sure to find me baking this on repeat this spring and summer!
You could substitute lots of other fruits that you have on hand if you don’t have blueberries, but I’d think berries of some sort would work best. Frozen fruit works too – I just used frozen blueberries to make this.
I think you’re going to love making this lemon cornmeal cake with blueberries and if you do, be sure to share how it goes and leave a comment down below!
Thanks for stopping by A Veganable Feast!
(Makes about 6 servings)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3/4 cup cornmeal/polenta
- 1/2 all purpose flour (I used T45 in France)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- Preheat the oven to 170°C or 375°F. Grease a 6 inch round cake pan (or other similar sized pan) and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the melted coconut oil and sugar. Add the coconut yogurt, lemon zest and lemon juice and stir well to combine.
- In a medium bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt and stir well. Add the four mixture to the wet ingredients and stir to combine.
- Pour the batter into the cake pan and sprinkle the blueberries evenly on top of the batter. Place the cake pan in the oven and bake for about 30 minutes or just until the edges begin to brown. Insert a knife into the center to make sure it is cooked.
- Let cool and remove from the cake pan. Serve with coconut yogurt and enjoy!