This yogurt olive oil cake is so moist, flavorful, and simple – the perfect pairing for summer fruit. Here, I used some of the first nectarines that are popping up in stores as well as blueberries. This seriously makes such a wonderful summertime dessert.
To create such a delicious cake, the most important ingredients are coconut yogurt, olive oil, and almond powder. This combination lays down a rich and rustic base to balance out the bright, juicy fruit. All we need to do is stir together the wet ingredients, mix in the dry ones, then top with fruit, and bake. Just simple, plant-based ingredients and that’s it. The olive oil may seem like an odd addition to cake, but just trust me – it’s so good! Though you will probably want to use an olive oil that is more mild in flavor so as to not overpower the other ingredients.
You could absolutely top this yogurt olive oil cake with whatever fruit that’s in season. I imagine it would go so well with strawberries, cherries, apricots, peaches, blackberries, plums… my mouth is watering just thinking of all this summer fruit! This recipe is totally worth trying and something you’re going to want to make again and again.
I’d love to see how your yogurt olive oil cake turned out and what summer fruit you’re topping it with! Don’t forget to share down below in the comments or on instagram!
Thanks for stopping by A Veganable Feast!
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon of ground flax seeds mixed with 3 tablespoons water)
- 1/2 cup coconut milk yogurt (plus more for serving, optional)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup olive oil (mild flavored)
- 3/4 cup plant milk (I used oat milk)
- 1 cup almond powder
- 1 cup all purpose flour (I used French T45)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 nectarines
- 1/2- 3/4 cup blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 175°C or 350°F. Grease a cake pan* and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flax seed and water and let sit for 5 minutes.
- In the mean time, slice the nectarines into wedges and set aside.
- Once the flax egg has thickened slightly, add the coconut yogurt, sugar, olive oil and milk and stir well.
- In a medium bowl, add the the almond powder, flour, baking powder and salt. Whisk well to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir just until combined.
- Pour the batter into the cake pan, then evenly distribute the blueberries on top. Place the nectarine slices on top of the batter in a circular pattern.
- Place the pan in the oven and bake for about 40 minutes or until the edges begin to brown and the center is cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and let cool. Serve slices with coconut yogurt if desired and enjoy!
*Note : I used a wide tart pan in order to increase the ratio of fruit to batter. But if you don’t have one as wide then you might need to use less fruit as well as bake the cake for a bit longer.