It seems to be more like spring around here, not that I would really know because I’m not going outside much these days. But the sun is shining, the flowers I can see from my window are blooming, and the forecast on my weather app is making me think I can pack away my winter coat. All of this almost-spring weather is making me excited for the produce that’ll be coming into season and appearing at the stores. I’m craving things that are bright and fresh and delicate and light. Cooking and baking with spring flavors are so welcome after the hearty warm winter foods. So I wanted to start off with something simple and zesty like a lemon loaf cake.
The simplest of recipes.
This lemon loaf cake is seriously a breeze to put together. It requires only 8 INGREDIENTS that are all plant-based and can be made in ONE BOWL. Isn’t that kind of simplicity all we ever want in a recipe anyways?
The wet ingredients are mixed in the bowl first, including coconut milk for richness, just enough sugar for sweetness, and lemon for brightness. The dry ingredients are added in before it’s poured into a loaf pan to be baked. A quick glaze is then whipped up using powdered sugar and lemon juice to drizzle on top of the cake once it’s cooled. This is a very simple recipe for a zesty, sweet treat where the cake itself is barely sweet with just a hint of lemon but the glaze on top really brings the flavor.
If you are looking to do some more baking for a bit of comfort and distraction during these difficult times, this lemon loaf cake is a great recipe to bring a little brightness to your day.
Have any thoughts or questions about this recipe, or tried it yourself? Leave them down in the comments below! Thanks for stopping by A Veganable Feast!
(Makes 12-14 slices)
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice*
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon zest*
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all purpose flour (T55 in France)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the glaze :
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice*
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon zest*
*I used one lemon for the zest and juice in this recipe but you may need two depending on the size of the lemon.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C or 375°F. Grease a loaf pan and line with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the coconut milk, sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest and vanilla extract. Whisk well to combine.
- To the wet ingredients, add the flour, baking powder and salt, then stir to combine. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Put the loaf pan in the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes or until the loaf cake is golden brown on top and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool.
- Once the loaf cake has cooled, prepare the glaze in a small bowl by combining the powdered sugar, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Stir well with a fork. Place the loaf cake on a serving plate and, using a spoon, drizzle the glaze over the top of the loaf cake, allowing some to drip down the sides.
- Serve slices of the lemon loaf cake with coconut yogurt if desired. Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container for up to three days.