This grain salad with shallot dressing is the just thing to bring you out of your salad rut, because salad doesn’t have to be boring.
When I eat salad it can often be a lot the same thing, which I get tired of quickly. So lately I’ve been trying to mix things up and add in new ingredients so that I actually look forward to eating them. I wanted to add in sweet potato because its one of my favorite foods, chickpeas for protein, grains to keep me full, and arugula because, it is still a salad. This combination of ingredients is already very different from the typical salad that I throw together, but what makes the real difference is the dressing.
A freshly made flavorful dressing that packs a punch is often what makes a salad stand out. Here, I mixed together olive oil, lemon juice, dijon mustard, and shallots. The bright combination of the dijon and the shallots are really what elevates this salad into something you will be craving for dinner.
I wrote down the recipe for this grain salad below, but all you really need is a simple formula : greens/veggies + grains + protein + dressing. This way, if you keep this simple formula in mind, you can make this work with whatever ingredients you may have on hand – any veggie, any grain, and any killer dressing.
You can definitely make this ahead of time to pack some great lunches for the week, but be sure to store the arugula separate until the last minute to keep it fresh.
I hope you enjoy this grain salad with shallot dressing, and if you have any questions or thoughts let me know down in the comments! Thanks for stopping by A Veganable Feast!
(Makes 2-4 servings)
- 1/2 cup barley, dry*
- 1/2 cup spelt, dry*
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt to taste
- 1 can chickpeas
- Arugula, about a handful per person
For the dressing :
- 1/2 tablespoon Dijon
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallots (about 1/2 of a large shallot or 1 small one)
- Begin by cooking the barley and spelt according to package directions. Once done, set aside to cool to room temperature.
- In the mean time, preheat the oven to 190°C or 375°F. Peel the sweet potatoes and dice into 1 cm (~ 1/2 inch) cubes. Place on a sheet pan, add the olive oil and salt and stir well. Place in the oven and bake for about 25 minutes or until they begin to get brown and crispy. Let cool.
- Prepare the chickpeas and arugula by rinsing if necessary and set aside.
- For the dressing, finely chop the shallot. In a small jar or bowl, combine the mustard, lemon juice, olive oil and mix well. Add the shallot in and stir until combined.
- To assemble, place the barley, spelt, chickpeas, sweet potatoes, and dressing in a large bowl. Toss to combine, add the arugula and gently stir until combined. Taste and add salt and pepper if needed. Serve in bowls and enjoy!
- I used a combination of barley and spelt for variety, but you could certainly use all of one or the other. I think this salad could work well with substitutes like bulgar wheat, pearl couscous, quinoa, etc., though I haven’t tried with any of these yet.
- This salad should last a couple days in the fridge, but be sure to add the arugula last minute when serving to keep it fresh.